[Biopython-dev] Fwd: [Fwd: missing NCBI DTDs]

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:18:21 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:15 AM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We could consider to not include any DTDs with Biopython,
> and rely on downloading them automatically.
> This seems a better test case than what we currently have,
> because as NCBI updates their DTDs, Bio.Entrez depends
> on this automatic download capability.
>
> Best,
> -Michiel.

Long term not bundling the DTD files seems a good idea.
Being cautious we could bundle them for the next release,
see how the download mechanism works in the wild, and
drop the DTD files for the release after that?

This would mean all the Entrez parser tests would require
internet access (even if using an old XML file on disk), but
given that most of Bio.Entrez requires a connection to the
NCBI anyway this isn't such a problem.

If we do go down this route, would the current once-a-week
running of the online tests with buildbot be enough?