[Biopython-dev] Blastp for Proteins from Nematoda

Brown, Tom Tom.Brown at enmu.edu
Fri Mar 21 19:23:14 UTC 2014

Peter,

Thanks. It is working.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Cock [mailto:p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014 10:35 AM
To: Brown, Tom
Cc: Biopython-dev at lists.open-bio.org
Subject: Re: [Biopython-dev] Blastp for Proteins from Nematoda

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Brown, Tom <Tom.Brown at enmu.edu> wrote:
> How can I blastp a protein against only proteins from organisms in Nematoda (a phylum)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

The two main options I can think of are:

1. Make a database of only nematode proteins - which is probably a good idea anyway as many are not in NR, see also http://www.nematodes.org/

2. Search against the NCBI NR database doing a taxonomy filter, which is possible if you use the -remote option and an Entrez filter (taxonomy ID is 6231, so try txid6231[ORGN] as the Entrez filter).

Peter

Confidentiality Notice:

This e-mail, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information as defined under FERPA. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message