[Biopython-dev] Bio.Entrez batch download example with retries

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:07:03 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:48 AM, Vincent Davis <vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:

> I have noticed that some of the code in the tutorial appears as it was
> copied from a live terminal session and some (like above) is code that could
> be copy and pasted. Is there a reason for this (doc tests?) I would myself
> prefer code blocks that I could copy and paste without modification to try
> it out for myself.

Many of the tutorial examples are literally doctests, see
Tests/test_Tutorial.py for how they are executed.

Longer examples which don't make as much sense to give
as a doctests lack the >>> to make it easier to copy and paste.

Note some Python editors like ipython make copy/pasting of
doctests much easier.

Peter

P.S. As an aside, we avoid single quotes for strings in the Tutorial
and use double quotes instead so that they can be copy and pasted
from the PDF file.