[Biopython-dev] landscape.io

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 2 18:02:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Tiago Antao <tra at popgen.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:29:01 +0000
> Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> There is also the time cost in looking at the output (and deciding
>> what to ignore and what to act on), and the potential negatives
>> of a public report says there are "code smells" in Bio.XXX ;)
>>
>> I had a look at their FAQ but it doesn't really explain how
>> this works for GitHub organisation accounts like Biopython:
>> https://landscape.io/pages/faq
>

> Just ask your personal account to do it, and it will do it
> automatically
>
> https://landscape.io/github/biopython/biopython
>
> [I just did it myself - it is scheduled for computing soon].
>
> If the repository does not have a default config file, it will run
> sensible defaults anyway.
>
> Zero cost for the default configuration (its done).

Very easy :)

I've been trying this on several of my other Python repositories,
and while there are things I consider false positives, it has
already helped me fix a bunch of minor things (eg extra imports)
and some real bugs (eg wrong variable name used in error
messages).

So while we'll need to spend some time digesting the reports,
I agree that https://landscape.io/github/biopython/biopython
ought to be very useful.

Suggestions for fine tuning the setting welcome :)

Thanks Tiago!