[Biopython-dev] Fwd: Compiling Biopython on 64 bit Windows, was: Volunteer buildslave machines?

Manlio Calvi manlio.calvi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:35:42 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: Compiling Biopython on 64 bit Windows, was: Volunteer
buildslave machines?
To: Manlio Calvi <manlio.calvi at gmail.com>
Cc: Tiago Antao <tra at popgen.net>

 Manlio

Excellent work - well done :)

We should add some of this to the "Installing from source on Windows"
section of the installation notes (which we also need to update regarding
newer versions of Python and which compiler works):

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/blob/master/Doc/install/Installation.tex

Step 6 sounds familiar, I think there is a similar batch file to set the
environment variables for the 43bit MSVC compiler.

Regarding step 7, Python should use separate subdirectoroes under
build/ for each version of Python, so that shouldn't be a needed.
However, if you do use the same folder some of our tests use
hard coded temporary filenames so it is best to only test one version
of Python at a time.

Regarding step 8, normally on Windows I don't bother with setting the
$PATH environment variable and simply call the explicit version of
Python I am testing, e.g.

C:\Python27\python.exe setup.py build
C:\Python27\python.exe setup.py test
C:\Python27\python.exe setup.py install

(This is what the current buildbot instructions do where we
have automated the tests).

As to what's text - let's try to fix these test failures :)
Can you post the test output please?

TogoWS is an online service, so from time to time it does have
transient failures (so does the NCBI Entrez API). The fact this
broke under both Python 2.7 and 3.4 suggests this is not a
Python 3 issue.

I am a little surprised you didn't see this problem with Python 3.4,
but Windows does unicode a little differently so that may be why?
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/305

How did you install git & clone Biopython? Specifically, what
is it doing about text files (i.e. Unix versus DOS/Windows
new lines). This was something which has caused test
failures in the past - perhaps some new cases have arisen.

Thanks!