[Biopython-dev] Volunteer buildslave machines? e.g. Windows & 32 bit Linux

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:58:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Tiago and I have been looking after a range of machines
> covering different operating systems and Python versions,
> running as volunteer buildslaves for Biopython using buildbot:
> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/tgrid
>
> Does anyone else have a lab/home server which could be
> setup to run nightly Biopython tests for us via buildbot?
> Ideally the machine needs to be online overnight (European
> time) when the server is currently setup to schedule tests:
>
> http://www.biopython.org/wiki/Continuous_integration
>
> Our elderly 32 bit Linux desktop which has been running
> as a Biopython buildslave for the last few years is finally
> failing (hard drive problem).
>
> I would particularly like to see new buildslaves for:
>
> * 32 bit Linux
> * 64 bit Windows
> * Windows 7 or 8 (we have a 32 bit XP machine)
>
> If you think you might be able to help, the first hurdle is
> verifying you can checkout Biopython from github, and
> then compile the source (this is non-trivial on Windows,
> especially for 64 bit Windows).
>
> Note that this is separate from the continuous integration
> testing done for use via TravisCI whenever the GitHub
> repository is updated - this is very useful but currently
> only covers Linux:
> https://travis-ci.org/biopython/biopython/builds
>
> The key benefit of the buildbot server is cross platform
> testing - but this requires a range of volunteer machines.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Anyone?

Right now I'm particularly interesting in Windows 32bit,
since my own machine has started showing test failures
with SQLite and I would like to know if this is unique or
a common issue (e.g. due to a Windows update):
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2014-March/011169.html

Also a couple of people have suggested using VMs,
which would be a neat solution but some physically
redundancy seems helpful.

Thanks,