[Biopython-dev] Python 2.7 failure from test_Tutorial.py, was: Compiling Biopython on 64 bit Windows

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 21 12:47:02 EDT 2014

Hi Manlio,

Moving on to Python 2.7, apart from the TogoWS issue,
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython-dev/2014-April/011259.html
your system showed one other failure:

ERROR: test_doctests (test_Tutorial.TutorialTestCase)
Run tutorial doctests.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test_Tutorial.py", line 167, in test_doctests
ValueError: 1 Tutorial doctests failed: test_from_line_04424

You should be able to rerun the tutorial tests alone (from memory
only if Biopython is installed) with just:

c:\python27\python test_Tutorial.py

This is from the following doctest in the Tutorial.tex file,

%This example fails under PyPy 2.0, https://bugs.pypy.org/issue1546
%doctest examples lib:numpy
\begin{verbatim}
>>> import numpy as np
>>> from Bio import AlignIO
>>> alignment = AlignIO.read("PF05371_seed.sth", "stockholm")
>>> align_array = np.array([list(rec) for rec in alignment], np.character)
>>> align_array.shape
(7, 52)
\end{verbatim}

Could you try running that example "by hand" and seeing what
happens? Note the doctest framework is very very fragile and
the slightest output difference will break a test.

Thanks,

Peter