[Biopython-dev] Fwd: [biopython] Potential error in mass calculations for RNA/DNA? (#229)

Markus Piotrowski Markus.Piotrowski at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Sep 2 20:49:20 UTC 2013

Hi,

I prepared a bugfix for that:
https://github.com/MarkusPiotrowski/biopython/commit/fd8914f14d48c984a69b6e8227c679e3c67bd1eb

In Bio.Data.IUPACData:
- corrected masses for monophosphate nucleotides in
unambiguous_dna_weights
and unambiguous_rna_weights (most values where too high by a mass of 16
Da)
- added two dictionaries with monoisotopic masses for monophosphate
nucleotides (monoisotopic_unambiguous_dna_weights and
monoisotopic_unambiguous_rna_weights)
- added average and monisotopic masses for selenocysteine and
pyrrolysine in
protein_weights and monoisotopic_protein_weights

In Bio.SeqUtils.__init__:
Rewrote method molecular_weight to
- correct the calculation (sum masses of sequence elements and
substract 18
Da for each formed bond)
- allow mass calculation for RNA and protein sequences
- allow mass calculation for double stranded nucleic acids