[Biopython-dev] Python 2 and 3 migration thoughts

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 6 14:03:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Incorporating another new feature branch gives:
>
> 387 no change, 161 need fixers
> Troublesome ones 29.4%
>
> The new batch of 2to3 issues solved is changes to
> built in functions like range, zip, map, filter. Branch:
> https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/builtins
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/246

I've added basestring and input to the builtins branch
(pull request updated), helps even more.

However, I realised I am effectively reimplementing the
MIT licensed 'six' library with 'Bio._py3k' and it would
be simpler to just use that instead (and that would make
life easier for contributors already using 'six' on other
projects):

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/six/
https://bitbucket.org/gutworth/six
http://pythonhosted.org/six/

Expect a slight reworking of these branches to appear
later, bundling a copy of 'six' as Bio/_py3k/__init__.py