[Biopython-dev] Python 2 and 3 migration thoughts

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 2 17:51:10 UTC 2013

https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/py3fixes

> I take it there are no objections to me merging this work?
> If not, I will try to do it tomorrow (Sunday) or early next week,
> and move on to the final issues before we can drop 2to3
> (which I do not anticipate being problematic).

They are not troublesome, perhaps worth applying soon too?
(Can anyone propose a more elegant solution to __nonzero__
versus __bool__ than to just define both?)

This allows us to stop using 2to3 (something NumPy have
also managed in their recent NumPy 1.8 release), making
installation of Biopython from source under Python 3.3
faster and much simpler:

https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/py3more

Regards,