[Biopython-dev] Python 3 and subprocess .communicate() bug

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri May 31 09:04:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was having a look at the issue precisely now.
>>
>> I do not have a cast opinion on the issue, I think it all boils down on how
>> many people are dependent on 3.2.3 and prior 3s.
>>
>> In theory I would prefer not to have workarounds for implementation bugs (as
>> makes things more complex to manage in the long-run), but if many people are
>> using buggy 3.x, I see no option...
>>
>> I simply do not have any view on how many people would be using these...
>>

> Since till now we've not officially supported Python 3, but
> plan to start doing so for the forthcoming Biopython 1.62
> release, so we could just set a minimum version of 3.2.4
> (with Python 3.3 being our current recommendation).

>From the discussion on the main list, requiring a recent
version of Python 3 where this bug is fixed should be fine.

For now I've added code to skip this test on the older
Python 3 releases where the bug exists:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/9c16c09806ca4af84f714662e54c9bd3057b0a52

Once we've settled on the versions to support with the next
release we should review what versions we run on the buildbot.

Regards,