[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Feature #3432] (New) Updated/Extended module MeltingTemp in Bio.SeqUtils

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Tue May 21 12:24:34 UTC 2013

Issue #3432 has been reported by Markus Piotrowski.

Feature #3432: Updated/Extended module MeltingTemp in Bio.SeqUtils
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3432

Author: Markus Piotrowski

Dear Biopython developers,

I updated/extended the MeltingTemp module of SeqUtils and would be happy if you would consider it for implementing. Please find the source code attached. Any feedback is appreciated.
'Old' module:
One method, Tm_staluc, which calculates the melting temperature by the nearest neighbor method, using two different thermodynamic data sets for DNA and RNA. Fixed salt correction formula.
'Updated' module:
1. Three different Tm calculations: one 'rule of thumb' (Tm_Wallace), one using approximative formulas basing on GC content (Tm_GC) and one using nearest neighbor calculations (Tm_NN).
2. The new Tm_NN allows the usage of different thermodynamic datasets (8 tables are included for Watson-Crick base-pairing) and includes tables for mismatches (including inosine) and dangling ends. The datasets are Python dictionaries; the user can use his own datasets or change/update existing tables for his needs.
3. Seven different formulas to correct for salt concentration, including correction for Mg2+ ions (method salt_correction).
4. Method chem_correction which allows for Tm correction when using DMSO and formaldehyde.

I haven't touched the old Tm_staluc method (except adding some comments [labelled 'MP'] and a deprecation warning). Actually, the method has two problems on the RNA side: The dataset for RNA is faulty and 'U' isn't considered as input. Of course this problems can easily be fixed, however, I would prefer (if it is decided to accept the updated module) to completely exchange the body of Tm_staluc for calls to Tm_NN (as outlined in the comments).

There is one thing, that I'm uneasy with: For terminal mismatches, I used thermodynamic data from a patent application that has been withdrawn (http://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/WO2001094611). Actually, I found the reference in the manual for Primer3 which also seems to use these data (http://primer3.sourceforge.net/primer3_manual.htm). Indeed, the Primer3 source (which is distributed under GPLv2) contains the data.

Best wishes,

Markus

You have received this notification because this email was added to the New Issue Alert plugin

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org