[Biopython-dev] BWA Wrapper

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at bioinformed.com
Fri Mar 15 15:40:38 UTC 2013

FYI, I am working on a direct Cython wrapper around the new BWA-MEM
aligner, which will allow API-level access to Heng Li's extremely
impressive new algorithm.  It is still in early development and is missing
many bells and whistles, but will be shaping up in the next few weeks.

Test program:

import bwamem

mem = bwamem.MEMAligner('ref/human_g1k_v37.fasta')
a = mem.align('TCACGACGCTCTTCCGATCTGTT...GTGCATTCTCTGGTCAGACAGCCAAGG')
a = a[0]

print 'ref id =',a.rid
print 'pos    =',a.pos
print 'CIGAR  =',a.cigar.to_string()