[Biopython-dev] Bugzilla --> RedMine --> GitHub issues?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 17 16:53:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
>Peter wrote:
>> Biopython used to use Bugzilla, at http://bugzilla.open-bio.org/
>> (it was left as a read only legacy listing, but it broke last year when
>> the old server started to die and isn't really worth fixing).
>>
>> This was moved over to RedMine, along with all the other OBF
>> projects. This does have some git integration, but I'm not that
>> taken with it - and it is yet another service for the OBF team
>> to maintain.
>>
>> What do people think of moving over to using GitHub issues?
>> This would link in very well with pull requests and makes linking
>> to commits much simpler too. One potential issue is if and how
>> we could have bug reports sent to the biopython-dev mailing list
>> (something we touched on recently for pull requests).
>>
>> A full automated move could be possible (NumPy did this), but I
>> think a gradual move would be fine - stop filing new issues on
>> RedMine and use GitHub issues in future. There are only about
>> 100 issues open at the moment anyway, and a manual migration
>> would also be a good way to review some of the older tickets.
>>
>> Thoughts?,
>
> Moving to GitHub sounds good to me. I'd prefer if we go over the
> issues manually (removing the obsolete ones and keeping the current
> ones).
>
> As per the bug reports sending to the mailing list, could we perhaps
> create our own custom hooks? e.g. anytime a pull request is issued, an
> email would be sent (see https://github.com/github/github-services and
> http://developer.github.com/v3/repos/hooks/#create-a-hook)
>
> Regards,
> Bow

I just talked to Brad about this during the pre-BOSC 2013 CodeFest,
and we agree that moving from RedMine to GitHub issues is a good
move. BioRuby have already done this.

If no one objects, I will enable filing issues on GitHub, update the
wiki with links. It should be possible to disable filing new issues
on RedMine, but leave it live for reference.

https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/biopython
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/ <-- not live yet

We as a group should then manually review the ~100 open issues
on RedMine, and file new issues on GitHub as appropriate. I think
a manual review is a good idea anyway - there are some stale
issues etc which need some fresh eyes.

Regards,