[Biopython-dev] biopython, pip, and Python 3.3 + virtualenv

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Tue Jul 9 09:41:16 UTC 2013

Laurent and Peter;

> OK, so you get the same error from a 'pip install' from both the
> Biopython 1.61 release, and the latest code from github as of
> 8 July 2013, which would have included Brad's pip-related
> commit which evidently made no difference to this issue:
>
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/bc828342716218b84908c1a4435163e564f31445
>
> Thanks for checking that. Having confirmed the latest code is
> still affected, I'm out of ideas - how about you Brad, any thoughts?

Laurent, can you try this branch and see if it installs cleanly for you
using pip on Python 3.3:

https://github.com/chapmanb/biopython

I pulled the fix from numpy's older setup.py (before they moved to a
combined 2.7 and 3.3 code base) and it worked on my tests, but would
like to confirm before merging:

https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/172/files

Thanks for reporting the issue,
Brad