[Biopython-dev] Namespace for online resources?

Kevin Murray k.d.murray.91 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 03:37:46 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Essentially, I agree with everything Bow and Lenna have said. If all
web-based tools are in a single root-level package, then with appropriate
documentation I think users should know where to find any function. People
are at least going to know if their required module interfaces with some
website.

I guess the problem is that moving all the web stuff into one package will
break alot of code, which leads me back to my original idea of just copying
where stuff like TOGOws and ExPASy is located, i.e. sticking TAIR in the
root level directory.

Peter and Michiel, do you think that Lenna's suggestion is workable? Would
it make sense to go all in and simultaneously refactor parsers into
Bio.parse,  Bio.*IO into Bio.io.*, etc etc. Perhaps this could be delayed
until the next major release (or form the beginings of a biopython2
branch?).

Cheers,
Kevin Murray