[Biopython-dev] Bio._utils iterlen not needed

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 09:21:34 UTC 2013

Dear all,

As far as I can tell the iterlen function in Bio._utils is not needed.
Simply calling len(items) does exactly what iterlen does, and is much faster too.

For the other functions, are they important enough to warrant a separate module? From our previous experience in Biopython, these kinds of utility modules tend to be underused. This is because the functions are simple and therefore easy to replicate, and often they do not do exactly what is needed in a particular module. Similar utility modules in Biopython in the past were forgotten after a while, and then deprecated and removed.

Best,
-Michiel.