[Biopython-dev] flex, setup.py and Bio.PDB.mmCIF (Bug 2619)

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 12:09:22 UTC 2013

--- On Sat, 2/16/13, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> This does mean we essentially give up on ever regenerating
> the lex.yy.c file every again - could that be a problem if Flex
> itself changes much?

The lex.yy.c file was generated by Flex, but otherwise it's independent of it. It doesn't #include Flex's header files, and we don't link it to the Flex libraries. So we can do with it whatever we want.

We may find though that a stripped-down version of lex.yy.c will be rather trivial, and converting it to Python may be straightforward.

Best,
-Michiel.