[Biopython-dev] NumPy 1.7 and NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API warnings

Michiel de Hoon mjldehoon at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 10:28:32 UTC 2013

Fixed; please let us know if you encounter any problems.

-Michiel.

 Hi all,

 I'm seeing the following warning from NumPy 1.7 with Python
 3.3 on Mac
 OS X, and on Linux too. I believe the NumPy version is the
 critical
 factor:

 building 'Bio.Cluster.cluster' extension
 building 'Bio.KDTree._CKDTree' extension
 building 'Bio.Motif._pwm' extension
 building 'Bio.motifs._pwm' extension

 all give:

 /Users/peterjc/lib/python3.3/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/npy_deprecated_api.h:11:2:
 warning: "Using
       deprecated NumPy API, disable it by
 #defining
 NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API NPY_1_7_API_VERSION" [-W#warnings]

 According to this page,
 http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/reference/c-api.deprecations.html

 If we add this line it should confirm our code is clean for
 NumPy 1.7
 (and implies to side effects on older NumPy):

 #define NPY_NO_DEPRECATED_API NPY_1_7_API_VERSION

 Unfortunately that seems all four modules have problems
 doing
 that, presumably planned NumPy C API changes we need to
 handle via a version conditional #ifdef?