[Biopython-dev] Introduction from a newbie; Tiny contribution

Kashyap Chhatbar kashyap.cc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 16:29:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am happy to join the dev mailing list for Biopython. I would be
definitely interested in learning more and hopefully at some point
contributing to the biopython source. A few days ago, I created an issue on
the official github repository of biopython
(#267<https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/267>).
I think I have come up with a noobish contribution to convert the file name
(if relative path is given) to absolute paths when creating sqlite3
database using Bio.SeqIO.index_db() function. (commit
de9ba35<https://github.com/kashyapchhatbar/biopython/commit/de9ba359b668b1880edb12f4d9df3e9424515745>).
I have not looked up too much of the biopython code so as to conclude
whether introducing the absolute path for filenames is as such a good idea
or not but I thought of this because Peter J Cock hinted of improving the
code for relative paths.

Cheers,

Kashyap