[Biopython-dev] Fwd: Questions about Codon Alignment Proposal

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 27 19:57:38 UTC 2013

Oops - biopython-dev != python-dev ;)

(I'll reply shortly)

Peter

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: 阮铮 <rz1991 at foxmail.com>
Date: Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Subject: Questions about Codon Alignment Proposal
To: Eric Talevich <eric.talevich at gmail.com>, "p.j.a.cock"
Cc: python-dev <python-dev at python.org>

Hi Eric and Peter,

I'm preparing the proposal for the codon alignment project. Two things
I may want to hear your advice.

1) In the biopython wiki page, you mentioned "model selection" in the
Approach & Goals. I'm not sure if there are any advantages to use
codon alignment for model selection. Could you give me some
references? Another thing is that model selection involves estimation
of tree topology as well as branch lengthes and parameters across many
substitution models. Will it be too computationally intensive for a
python implementation?

2) You also mentioned the "validation (testing for frame shift)". Is
there a test for frame shift? Or I can simply detect it by comparing
amino acid sequences and nucleotide sequences.

Best,
Zheng Ruan