[Biopython-dev] Debugging the warning filters in the unit tests

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:30:58 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

Could we apply a simple warning filter prior to the doctest run? Something
like:

with warnings.catch_warnings():
    warnings.simplefilter('ignore', ResourceWarning)
    suite.run(result)

I see that the run_tests.py script already can differentiate between
doctests and non-doctests. The filter can then be applied before the 'else'
clause from L375 ends (consequently, the previous 'if' should do its own
unfiltered `suite.run(result)` invocation. I tried this locally, and it
does work for the ResourceWarning from the doctests. It does not silence
all ResourceWarnings, though (test_Tutorial isn't really a doctest as seen
by `run_tests.py`, and I saw a separate warning raised from L431 during GC
cleanup).

However, maybe a related issue is whether we want to silence this warnings
at all?

After digging a bit into the tests and code, the warnings do seem to be
generated by real leaky handles (so not a Python bug). For example, the
SearchIO and SeqIO warnings here:
http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Linux%2064%20-%20Python%203.3/builds/140/steps/shell/logs/stdio
seems
to be caused by the `index` or `index_db` function not closing its open
file handles. When the doctest suite resets the global environment for each
test (doctest.py:L1439), Python discovers that these handles are still open
and raises a warning.

I haven't checked if the same issue is the root cause of other
ResourceWarning occurences. Perhaps we need to look deeper into this?

Cheers,
Bow