[Biopython-dev] PEP8 lower case module names?

Kai Blin kai.blin at biotech.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Oct 26 13:34:12 UTC 2012

On 2012-10-26 14:42, Peter Cock wrote:

> My personal preference is for a new lowercase namespace like
> biopy.* or biopython.* which can co-exist with Bio.* during a
> transition period. However, this did not seem popular.

That'd still mean older scripts would break after the transition
period, and we'll end up encoding the language name in the module,
which seems a bit silly.

Having said that, I see the least amount of pain for BioPython users
going that route, with the possibly larger maintenance headache for
BioPython developers.

I think this is one of these "what color do we paint the bikeshed"
discussions, where there really isn't any objectively superior solution.

> That was my thinking - but it does go against the general advice to
> library authors in that API changes from Python 2.x to 3.x are
> discouraged.

Right, but from dealing with the python folks on Freenode IRC, I
gather that many of them assume the switch from Python 2.x to 3.x is a
very low-impact change for code authors. I tend to disagree there. :)

As I said, strong feeling of a bikeshed discussion here. :)

> Perhaps a blog post & email to the announcement mailing list
> soliciting feedback on this proposal is the best way forward,
> perhaps with a web-survey form? e.g.

To be honest, I don't care that much about which solution is decided
on, as long as the decision is made soon. I've got some programs that
need the HMMer2 parser that I've added to Bow's SearchIO code, and I'm
hoping to get that into BioPython soon instead of having to ship with
a custom BioPython for publication.

Cheers,
Kai

- --
Dipl.-Inform. Kai Blin         kai.blin at biotech.uni-tuebingen.de
Institute for Microbiology and Infection Medicine
Division of Microbiology/Biotechnology
Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen
Auf der Morgenstelle 28                 Phone : ++49 7071 29-78841
D-72076 Tübingen                        Fax :   ++49 7071 29-5979
Germany
Homepage: http://www.mikrobio.uni-tuebingen.de/ag_wohlleben