[Biopython-dev] Status of SearchIO

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:33:35 UTC 2012

Hi Kai, Peter,

For the merge conflict, which branch are you using? Can you point to
specific commits that cause the conflicts? I haven't tried merging /
rebasing my own branch to the current master myself ~ so knowing this
should help the process as well.

And suggestions are still welcomed for the namespace :). Bio.SearchIO is
the current one, but we have other alternatives (the most recent one being
Bio.seq.search; following the change in Bio.Seq -> Bio.seq namespace
change).

Also, I think there are still some issues that need to be dealt with before
we put SearchIO into master, notably with Bio.BLAST module. If not the
official deprecation notice, at least the the tutorial has to be updated
(let Bio.BLAST readers know about the plan with SearchIO). I've written a
short tutorial here: http://bow.web.id/biopython/Tutorial.html. This is
still a draft, but you can already see that there are some obvious overlaps
between Bio.BLAST and Bio.SearchIO, which is confusing to new readers.

regards,
Bow