[Biopython-dev] Contributing startup

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:26:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:16 AM, Ben Fulton <ben at benfulton.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking for some introductory tickets or other methods to familiarize
> myself with the Biopython codebase. I saw some suggestions on the wiki to
> improve unit test coverage or to add additional file formats, which sounds
> fine - are there particular areas of code that lack coverage, or file
> formats that are particularly wanted? Or would it be better to look over
> the issue tracker and try to identify some smallish issues?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Ben Fulton

Hi Ben,

Welcome - more volunteer developers willing to help is always nice.

You asked about test coverage, and while I could guess about things
what might be most interesting would be to try and measure this
using something like coverage or figleaf:
http://nedbatchelder.com/code/coverage/
http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/figleaf/doc/

Another general area would be improving our support under
Python 3.

In terms of specific modules, is there anything in particular which
seems like a good match with your work/research interests?

Regards,