[Biopython-dev] Dependency policy; was PEP8 lower case module names?

Tiago Antão tiagoantao at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 21:00:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Jython has an open bug on including the sqlite3 module,

This will go nowhere fast as it will be dependent on a JNI library (i.e.
linkage of C code).
The only durable option in the Java space would be a native implementation
of sqlite3.
All other options are not of the "embeddable" type (e.g. JDBC driver to
something running outside), defeating the main purpose of sqlite3.

To sum it up: I doubt that sqlite3 will be a realistic solution in the
Jython space. As per previous email, I suspect that a Python DBI to JDBC
bridge (bundled with Jython by default) + a default database (javadb/derby
or H2 or HSQLDB) is probably more realistic in the Java space.

On the OracleJDK javadb will require 0 dependencies. On other JDK or a JRE,
Apache derby.

--
"Liberty for wolves is death to the lambs" - Isaiah Berlin