[Biopython-dev] Dependency policy; was PEP8 lower case module names?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 4 14:01:16 UTC 2012

Retitling thread

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Michiel de Hoon <mjldehoon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Already I feel that we need to install too many packages to get going with
>> Python in bioinformatics (Python itself, NumPy, Matplotlib and its
>> dependencies, Pysam, Cython (needed to compile Pysam), ezsetup, perhaps
>> SciPy, Biopython). I find this hard to explain to people new to
>> bioinformatics or new to Python. So I would prefer to keep one distribution.
>>
>> We can be more lenient in terms of dependencies, especially those that
>> don't occur at compile time.
>>

> One of the things that I always found lacking with biopython is a clear,
> consistent policy on dependencies:

It would be good to have something written down, just as we
did with the deprecation policy.

> Depending on the mood of the day it could be either good/bad
> to add a library dependency. As an example, this ended up
> with there being a dependency on reportlab, but not on scipy.

The ReportLab dependency is a 'run time only' dependency and
has been in Biopython for a very long time. You'd have to remind
me if there was any compile time issue with scipy, but my
recollection was we were loath to add a dependency on scipy
(which is quite a complex library to install if not using a package)
for just one or two functions - however you were planning something
more substantial in the PopGen code which would justify it (using
lots of statistics).

> Whatever the policy, I think that is should be consistent all across.
> Preferably simple to both users and developers.
>
> A few ideas on policy:
>
> 1. I totally agree with the the idea of being as lenient as possible with
> dependencies (as you say, especially with those that do not occur at
> compile time).
> 2. Biopython belongs to a certain software ecology. I think it would make
> sense to see as natural adding dependencies on well established python
> libraries.
> 3. (1+2) If a developer wants to add a dependency on a package, that should
> not be a major problem (as long as the package is maintained for long/well
> known/stable). Users should only have to deal with the dependency if they
> need the functionality that depends on that package.
>
> Python being a dynamic language, there does not have to be a burden on
> users/developers if a remote part of Biopython depends on something more
> exotic (which most users/developers will never see/install in any case).
> Again by "exotic" I mean well known libraries with a track record of years
> of stability.

That all sounds reasonable. It is compile time dependencies that I am
most wary of.

However, from an end user perspective having installed Biopython and
then trying a script from a colleague and only then finding 101 optional
run time dependencies are also needed would be annoying.

For Linux packages like Debian there is a 'recommends' field for this kind
of soft dependency. Where do we stand with declaring dependencies in
setup.py so that if using a package manager like pip this it less painful?

In fact, how many 'soft' dependencies like this do we already have?
Just from a quick look at the README file many are not mentioned
under the current 'System Requirements' text (e.g. Network X).

> Tiago
> PS - Another issue that it would be interesting see cleared-up would be the
> policy on compile time (linkage) dependencies. Are new ones encouraged?

Currently discouraged. They make installation much more painful, and
have tended to be left untested, e.g. mmCIF was for many years disabled
by default because no one could work out how to detect its requirements
at compile time.

> What about Java/Jython based?

I'm not so keen on something providing Java/Jython only functionality.
However, something where we could require library X under Jython
while using library Y under C Python makes sense. Database access
would be a perfect example - things like Python's sqlite3 don't yet exist
under Jython.