[Biopython-dev] Start/end co-ordinates in SeqRecord objects?

Andrew Sczesnak andrew.sczesnak at med.nyu.edu
Tue May 22 21:31:48 UTC 2012

Apologies, I accidentally hit send before finishing.

--

Peter,

It sort of seems like every letter in a sequence needs to have its own
annotation, mapping it to its chromosome/sequence and position of
origin. In this way, when multiple sequences are sliced and concatenated
the annotation is preserved. For example,

a = GappedSeq("ATGATG")
                ^    ^
                |    chr1:6
                chr1:1

b = GappedSeq("GGG")
                ^ ^
                | chr1:502
                chr1:500

b = b.reverse_complement()

c = a + b = GappedSeq("ATGATGGGG")

Such that c[1].someproperty = "chr1[+]2" while chr[7].someproperty =
"chr1[-]501". Strand information could be preserved on a per-letter
basis and flipped from -1 to +1 upon reverse_complement(). The API could
find and report contiguous stretches by analyzing these per-letter
annotations, for example:

 >>> print c
GappedSeq('ATGATGGGG', someproperty=["chr1[+]1-6", "chr1[-]500-502"])

The issue of gaps and of translating multiple alignments of gapped
sequences could be resolved by having a convention where gaps always
belong to the right-nearest gap except in the case of right-terminal
gaps. For example:

a = GappedSeq("----AGCG-ATG---")
                000001234456666

a[0] = GappedSeq("----A")
a[1] = GappedSeq("G")
a[4] = GappedSeq("-A")
a[6] = GappedSeq("G---")

A nucleotide triplet of this sequence would thus look like this:

a[:3] = GappedSeq("----AGC")
a[-3:] = GappedSeq("ATG---")

In the case of slicing a MultipleSeqAlignment of GappedSeq objects,
there would have to be an "anchor" sequence (like there is in UCSC MAF
files) with which other sequences in the alignment are sliced in
reference to. For example:

a = GappedSeq("----AGCG-ATG---", id="a", anchor=True)
b = GappedSeq("AG--GG---ATAG--", id="b")
c = GappedSeq("A--CGG---ATAGGG", id="c")

d = GappedSeqAlignment([a, b, c])

 >>> print d[:,:3]
SingleLetterAlphabet() alignment with 3 rows and 7 columns
----AGC a, anchor=True
AG--GG- b
A--CGG- c

One problem with this might be how to translate the multiple
alignment... in this case, should b and c have no translation?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Sczesnak
Bioinformatician, Littman Lab