[Biopython-dev] GSoC Project Update -- 1

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:24:43 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I just posted my latest blog updated here:
http://bow.web.id/blog/2012/05/warming-up-for-the-coding-period/

To summarize, I've spent most of my time getting to know the programs
I will support better. This has been done by:

1. Playing around with the programs to see how many different outputs
I can generate.
2. Writing scripts to automate test case generation for each of the programs.
3. Writing wrappers (for programs not yet wrapped by Biopython: FASTA,
HMMER, and BLAT) to ease writing the test case generators.
4. Continuing to complete my proposed SearchIO object naming scheme
(http://bit.ly/searchio-terms)

The test cases, their generators, and the wrappers I've written are
available in my non-Biopython gsoc repo here:
http://github.com/bow/gsoc/. Additionally, I've used the generated
test case to improve a recent bug report and submitted a fix for the
next release.

For the coming weeks prior to coding start, I'm planning to play
around more with XML and SQLite as I will use them in the code. I
might start to add more skeleton code to my current development branch
as well (https://github.com/bow/biopython).

cheers,
Bow