[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Bug #2351] Make Seq more like a string, even subclass string?

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Wed Jun 27 01:48:08 UTC 2012

Issue #2351 has been updated by Michiel de Hoon.

Can we let Seq subclass string? Then we could do the following (which I naively would expect to work):

>>> from Bio import SeqIO
>>> genome = SeqIO.read('chrM.fa', 'fasta')
>>> output = open("sequences.txt", 'w')
>>> output.write(genome.seq)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: argument 1 must be string or read-only character buffer, not Seq

Bug #2351: Make Seq more like a string, even subclass string?
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/2351