[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.60 plans and beyond

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 25 16:08:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
>> The release is in progress...
>>
>> There were some minor MANIFEST tweaks needed but that was all
>> (I hope). The candidate release files for 1.60 are on the website (go to
>> http://biopython.org/DIST/ directly), along with the API and new tutorial
>> in the usual places. I'd appreciate a quick once over before we tag this
>> in github, do the announcement, and tell PyPI.
>>
>> I've included biopython-1.60.win32-py3.2-beta.exe (the beta is just in
>> the filename) to encourage more testing under Python 3. Do we need
>> to bother with Python 3.1 as well here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Peter
>
> I tried downloading a fresh copy and doing a test + install.
> Everything seems to work ok (I tried it using Python2.7.3 and
> Python3.2.3 on Archlinux 64 bit).

Great.

> As for the Python 3.1 support, I am under the impression that people
> do not have that much 'legacy' code that they need to support in
> Python 3.1. So perhaps no for Python3.1 (especially with Python3.3
> nearing feature freeze
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-June/120762.html),
> but that's just me :).

Indeed - I'd rather steer anyone trying Biopython on Python 3 on
Windows into using Python 3.2 (and later 3.3) and skip 3.1 entirely.

> Anyway, thank you for managing the release and I'm looking forward
> for an official 1.60 release.

No problem - maybe you'll be able to one next time? ;)

(Even if someone else has to help with the Windows binaries and
do the PyPI upload.)