[Biopython-dev] Biopython 1.60 plans and beyond

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:10:05 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We said we'd release Biopython 1.60 before BOSC, and that is getting
close now. I will have limited availability the next few weeks - but I could
do the release on Monday. We've certainly got enough things done to
justify a release, even if not all the big new stuff has been added (e.g.
MAF and GFF).

For Biopython 1.59 we encouraged people to help beta test under
PyPy and Python 3.1 and 3.2,
http://news.open-bio.org/news/2012/02/biopython-1-59-released/

I think we can claim to support PyPy 1.9 (excluding our NumPy
dependencies and our C code), although perhaps not the older
PyPy releases. Has anyone tried things like Bio.PDB with PyPy's
NumPyPy yet?

To encourage wider testing under Python 3, are people comfortable
with releasing Windows installers - but with beta in the filename?

Are there any objections to aiming for Monday 25 June - and not
making any non-trivial commits over the weekend?

Thanks,