[Biopython-dev] Green light for Biopython on PyPy 1.9 on BuildBot

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 8 16:07:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> PyPy 1.9 was released today:
> http://morepypy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/pypy-19-yard-wolf.html
>
> The good news is that it installed simply on my Mac, and we
> now have a clean set of unit test results - an improvement on
> PyPy 1.8 were there was some kind of handle leak. I have now
> added this as a buildbot target for nightly testing:
>
> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/grid (portrait)
> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/tgrid (landscape)
>
> The bad news is the PyPy 1.9 binary wouldn't run on my Linux
> buildslave due to a GLIBC version difference, so we don't yet
> have a PyPy buildslave under Linux.
>
> I will try this under Windows next...

Not such good news. There are failures related to file handles, e.g.

C:\repositories\biopython\Tests>c:\pypy-1.9\pypy.exe test_BioSQL.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "app_main.py", line 51, in run_toplevel
  File "test_BioSQL.py", line 705, in <module>
    create_database()
  File "test_BioSQL.py", line 96, in create_database
    os.remove(TESTDB)
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being
used by another process.: C:\repositories\biopython\Tests\BioSQL\temp_sqlite.db

This is likely down to slow handle release meaning the OS
won't let us delete open files (Windows specific - you can
do this on Linux and Unix fine).

I won't be adding this to the buildbot for now.