[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Bug #3368] (New) Bio.GenBank format writer creates invalid start_codon entries.

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Tue Jul 3 08:59:57 UTC 2012

Issue #3368 has been reported by Kai Blin.

Bug #3368: Bio.GenBank format writer creates invalid start_codon entries.
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3368

Author: Kai Blin

When writing genbank output, the module adds quotes around the codon_start qualifier. This isn't according to the genbank file spec (see URL), and it also breaks the parser of another program I need to use.

<pre>
BioPython generates:
                     /codon_start="1"
while it should generate:
                     /codon_start=1
</pre>

Looking over the Bio.GenBank code, it seems like I need to introduce some special handling for un-quoted qualifiers. I'd suggest using the same list as BioPerl:

<pre>

our %FTQUAL_NO_QUOTE = map {$_ => 1} qw(
    anticodon           citation
    codon               codon_start
    cons_splice         direction
    evidence            label
    mod_base            number
    rpt_type            rpt_unit
    transl_except       transl_table
    usedin
    );
</pre> (see https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/blob/master/Bio/SeqIO/genbank.pm#L193)

I'll try to come up with a patch and will be happy for feedback on implementation, coding conventions and the like.

You have received this notification because this email was added to the New Issue Alert plugin

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org