[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Feature #3326] MultipleSeqAlignment should support iterators, not only slice objects

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Mon Feb 20 22:58:38 UTC 2012

Issue #3326 has been updated by Peter Cock.

It strikes me that while Python sequences don't support this at all, numpy arrays do allow indexing with a list - but surprisingly perhaps not an iterator. I imaging the problem with iterators is when you have more than one dimension (here we have slicing in one or two dimensions), and the fact you'd be forced to cache the iterator values in a list.

On balance, I would recommend doing this instead:

new_align = MultipleSeqAlignment(old_align[i] for i in row_iter)

Please bring this up on the mailing list if you want - we might spark some discussion and brainstorming.

Feature #3326: MultipleSeqAlignment should support iterators, not only slice objects
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3326