[Biopython-dev] Bio.Phylo bugs & pain points

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:34:18 UTC 2012

Folks,

Since we're coming up on another release of Biopython, I'd like to identify
any remaing bugs, pain points, aesthetic flaws, and minor missing features
in Bio.Phylo. (And hopefully, fix them before the release.)

In particular, the Phylo.draw() function, which plots a rooted phylogram
with matplotlib, appeared in the last Biopython release unannounced. There
are already many tree-drawing programs that produce beautiful
publication-quality graphics, and we're not trying to compete with those.
But we do want it to be useful for quickly visualizing a tree as you
develop a script or modify a tree interactively in IPython, for example. So
-- do the trees drawn by Phylo.draw() look right?

Thanks,
Eric