[Biopython-dev] Modifications to CircularDrawer

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:41:59 UTC 2012

Hi David,

I've been experimenting with your pull request, thank you:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/116

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM, David Martin <d.m.a.martin at dundee.ac.uk> wrote:
>> In the mean-time here is a plot (that doesn't show all layouts)
>
> Nice. Looking at that now I'm pretty sure I hacked the label anchor
> once before of a quick job in order to get the labels outside like that...
> certainly worth making this change.

Found it, that change made it to a branch I'd forgotten about:
https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/commit/d4764dfe929f135ec55b83ad14a9cd34e2d14bba

This is bringing back memories... I think I'd concluded last time
that attempting to offer anything other than radial label orientation
was probably a mistake, and that if we restrict that we can
safely offset the vertical position of the text midline (since right
now it is positioned according to the bottom line of the font).
Without that, positioning labels at the top (as you look at the
page) of a circular feature gave non-ideal placement. This
is likely one reason for the current hard-coded placement of
the feature labels at the bottom (as you look at the circle).

Hmm. I think I have a compromise forming that would allow
figures like your motivating example :)