[Biopython-dev] Minor buildbot issues from SearchIO

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:41:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Wibowo Arindrarto
<w.arindrarto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've done some digging around to see how to deal with these issues.
> Here's what I found:
>
>> The BuildBot flagged two new issues overnight,
>> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/tgrid
>>
>> Python 2.5 on Windows - doctests are failing due to floating point decimal place
>> differences in the exponent (down to C library differences, something fixed in
>> later Python releases). Perhaps a Python 2.5 hack is the way to go here?
>> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Windows%20XP%20-%20Python%202.5/builds/664/steps/shell/logs/stdio
>
> I've submitted a pull request to fix this here:
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/pull/98

The Windows detection wasn't quite right, it should now match
how we look for Windows elsewhere in Biopython:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/fc24967b89eda56675e67824a4a57a6059650636

>> There is a separate cross-platform issue on Python 3.1, "TypeError:
>> invalid event tuple" again with XML parsing. Curiously this had started
>> a few days back in the UniprotIO tests on one machine, pre-dating the
>> SearchIO merge. I'm not sure what triggered it.
>> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Linux%20-%20Python%203.1/builds/767
>> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Linux%2064%20-%20Python%203.1/builds/766/steps/shell/logs/stdio
>> http://testing.open-bio.org/biopython/builders/Windows%20XP%20-%20Python%203.1/builds/648/steps/shell/logs/stdio
>
> As for this one, it seems that it's caused by a bug in Python3.1
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue9257) due to the way
> `xml.etree.cElemenTree.iterparse` accepts the `event` argument.

Ah - I remember that bug now, we have a hack in place elsewhere
to try and avoid that - seems it won't be fixed in Python 3.1.x now
so I've relaxed the version check here:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/52fdd0ed7fa576494005e635b6a6610daab2ab0e

Hopefully that will bring the buildbot back to all green tonight.
(TravisCI has now dropped their Python 3.1 support, but they
should have Python 3.3 with NumPy working soon).