[Biopython-dev] Bio.Cluster.Tree -> Bio.Phylo

Andrew Sczesnak andrew.sczesnak at med.nyu.edu
Fri Apr 20 22:28:43 UTC 2012

Eric,

If my understanding is correct, UPGMA is slang for agglomerative
average-linkage hierarchical clustering which is implemented along with
single- and complete-linkage in the module. There's no equivalent of
neighbor-joining or maximum-likelihood and Bio.Cluster probably isn't
that fast with large numbers of nodes so wrappers are still useful. We
could probably add an NJ implementation for small matrices pretty easily
if you think it's worthwhile.

Either way, the glue could be useful for visualizing relationships
between genes/samples in microarrays (what I gather Bio.Cluster is
intended for).

Andrew