[Biopython-dev] Bio.Cluster.Tree -> Bio.Phylo

Andrew Sczesnak andrew.sczesnak at med.nyu.edu
Mon Apr 16 22:47:25 UTC 2012

Eric,

I can describe two use cases from my own experience. First, the MAF
parser I've been working on can pull the multiple alignment of some gene
between a bunch of genomes. Thinking of recipes for the cookbook, I
thought it would be neat to walk the user through constructing a
distance matrix by hand (though you're right--more could be done to
support this), clustering with Bio.Cluster and visualizing the result
with Bio.Phylo. I like this example because it integrates several
different parts of BioPython along with a lesson about inferring
distances between sequences.

Second, for another project, I've been generating distance matrices
based on the shared gene content of bacterial genomes and the
presence-or-absence of orthologous groups in each. Presently, I ferry
the matrices to a clustering program and then visualize the resulting
trees in yet another tool. Looking into ways of streamlining this
brought me back to Bio.Cluster, Bio.Phylo and the incompatibility of
their tree objects.

I wonder, what would be the most elegant way of bridging the gap?

Best,
Andrew