[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Feature #3295] (New) SeqIO read support for the PDB format

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Fri Sep 23 19:38:08 UTC 2011

Issue #3295 has been reported by Eric Talevich.

Feature #3295: SeqIO read support for the PDB format
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3295

Author: Eric Talevich

It's useful to be able to retrieve primary sequences from a PDB file. I propose an implementation in SeqIO that uses PDBParser and PPBuilder to extract the peptide sequences from a given structure and yield each one as a SeqRecord.

Basically:

<pre>
>>> struct = PDB.PDBParser().get_structure(pdb_id, fname)
>>> for peptide in PDB.PPBuilder().build_peptides(struct):
...     yield SeqRecord(Seq(peptide.get_sequence(), generic_protein),
...                     id=pdb_id+chain_id)
</pre>

but with proper metadata.

This will be read-only support, of course.

Sound good?

You have received this notification because this email was added to the New Issue Alert plugin

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org