[Biopython-dev] NumPy dialog when Biopython installed from automated programs

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:00:37 UTC 2011

Eric and Peter;
Thanks much for taking a look at this patch.

> Looks cool to me, except the sys.argv parsing gets a little gritty
> (understandably):

Absolutely. Unfortunately the python installation space is pretty
messy. Neither pip not easy_install gives any formal declaration so you
have to resort to these hacks to infer that they are doing the
install. Luckily I don't think any of these options are something people
would do directly from the command line.

> Line 115:
>
>     if dist_dir.find("egg-dist-tmp") >= 0:
>
> Could this be `if 'egg-dist-tmp' in dist_dir`?

> Line 118:
>
>     if sys.argv in [["-c", "develop", "--no-deps"],
>                     ["-c", "egg_info"]]:
>
> Does pip allow rearranging arguments? Would `--no-deps -c develop` also be
> valid?
> If so, should that be added as a third item in the list-of-args?

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I checked both of these in.

Thanks again,
Brad