[Biopython-dev] Cross-links between tracks in GenomeDiagram

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:51:11 UTC 2011

Peter;

> Something I've been working on this month in discussion with Leighton
> is some enhancements to GenomeDiagram, driven partly by a figure
> I wanted to draw for a paper. The code is here,
> https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/tree/gd-links

Awesome. The direction you are pushing this is great. I'd definitely
love to see this in the next release.

> Also try the file Doc/example/ACT_example.py which mimics
> a simple two-reference ACT diagram:
> https://github.com/peterjc/biopython/blob/gd-links/Doc/examples/ACT_example.py
>
> Simple linear output (split into three fragments) shown here:
> http://twitter.com/#!/pjacock/status/136509137826754560

Really nice. My only suggestion would be to combine the examples and
outputs together in the Cookbook. One of the best ways to learn plotting
and drawing packages is by looking through examples, finding one that
most closely matches what you want, and then iterating until you get at
what you need.

Brad