[Biopython-dev] SNP data into Biopython

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed May 18 23:20:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:03 AM, Sebastian Bassi
<sbassi at clubdelarazon.org> wrote:
> 2011/5/18 Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com>:
>> Double check with the original author about reusing his code,
>> but that could be good. Maybe under Bio/SNP/23andme.py
>> where the Bio.SNP namespace could be extended in future?
>
> I've just asked and this is his reply:
>
> """
> Thanks for your email. I'm flattered. Yes, you may include my code in
> biopython. I only ask two things:
> add my name to the list of biopython participants/contributors
> http://biopython.org/wiki/Participants
> http://biopython.org/SRC/biopython/CONTRIB
> add my name to the top of the python class which uses the code,
> stating a portion of the code came from me (assuming each python class
> in biopython has a comment header where each developer lists his/her
> name)
> I'm very glad you found the code useful. I'm traveling a lot these
> days and may not have immediate access to the internet, but please
> don't hesitate to shoot me an email-- I'll do my best to reply in a
> timely manner.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nikhil Gopal
> """

Assuming you asked him specifically about putting the code under
the Biopython license, those terms are fine. We'd have done most
of that anyway - although the wiki participants page is usually self
edited.

Are you happy to look at this then Sebastian? I've not worked with
SNP data first hand - hopefully Tiago or others can look things
over when you have something ready to merge.

Regards,