[Biopython-dev] MAF Parser/Writer/Indexer

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Mon May 16 20:45:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Andrew Sczesnak wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 01:54 PM, Peter Cock wrote:
>>
>> That is my assumption for how dots have been used in alignment
>> formats.
>>
>> If you have some MAF examples using dots, that would be great.
>
> I added a snippet of mouse chromosome 10 from UCSC, but it doesn't have
> dots.  I've actually never come across one with dots.
>
> Added support for a 'track' line at the beginning of a file as well, among
> some other small changes.
>
> https://github.com/polyatail/biopython/commits/alignio-maf

Generally I'm happy, although after editing the BioPerl unit test,
perhaps we should rename it? And did you mean to alter the
newline at the end of the file?

https://github.com/polyatail/biopython/commit/d423d423cc87efeb8a27a9332927e42d1beacdf2

Also, could you rewrite this to avoid the use of handle.tell? Not all
handle objects support that (right?), and we shouldn't need it.

https://github.com/polyatail/biopython/commit/111cf69d7e435203a781f05f9f317bc9ced03560