[Biopython-dev] biopython web interface

Bernardo Clavijo bjclavijo at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:52:15 UTC 2011

Hello Massimo... first of all... thanks for web2py, which is my tool
of choice for web apps :D

Here goes my 2 cents about all this:

1) I you're looking for a standard format, we should me talking about
sequence files ( fasta / gff ). This approach will be very
restrictive, but i guess it's a starting point.

2) you should look at galaxy, in some point I was hoping to integrate
a web2py programming module directly there (don't know how yet, and
i'm in many things at once, so it's more like a dream than a project).
Galaxy has a fex tutorials and videos that should point you in the
right direction.

3) Sadly, standard data representation has been an issue for some time
for the bioinformatics community, the REST / web services approach has
gain some momentum and some apps talk to each other in some way, but
we still have not much of a standard way to represent all the data.
Ontologies are a strong point also (check http://www.obofoundry.org/ )
with sequence ontology being a great one IMHO pointing on how the data
should be represented (it's recommended, even when not enforced, to
use SO when creating gff3 files).

4) So far, the one tool to "standard biological data saving" I've
found useful was the Chado DB schema, which BTW didn't enforce or even
define how to handle a lot of situations, but is more of a framework
on which to base your own data representation. I guess that's not what
you're looking for, but surely an interesting approach and a lot of
lessons learned there.

I'm currently building a web interface for some of our projects saving
genomic and proteomic data on a Chado DB ( http://gmod.org/wiki/Chado
) using web2py, but it's at least rough and in a pre-alpha (as in a
PoC) state. Some other folks here have been doing the same kind of
projects, hopefully someone with a better and less specific approach.
If it suits you, just contact me and i'll provide you all the
direction and ideas my limited knowledge could generate. I'm a little
dispersed man most of the time, so maybe not your ideal adviser, but I
have the will.

Greets and thanks again for web2py

Bernardo Clavijo

PD: please folks correct all my bad ideas for Massimo to have a real
view and not my mess