[Biopython-dev] Project ideas for CS grad

Medha Naik mnaik28 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 05:50:59 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I am a Computer Science Master's student from Texas with an inclination
towards Bioinformatics. I love coding in Python and would like to
contribute to some code development in Biopython. I do have basic
understanding of the biology and genetics concepts in bioinformatics but
I am primarily looking to work on the computational aspects like coding
some algorithms, data structures or database interactions.

I read Dan Gusfield's book, 'Algorithms on Strings, Trees and
Sequences', as part of my coursework and got interested in implementing
an algorithm or two from the same using the sequence and tree classes
already defined in Biopython.

Is there any open project that I could contribute to by doing the above?
I do not want to independently begin something without some guidance
from a person from the team.

I am open to all ideas/suggestions  and I hope that I can contribute
something to this amazing module that integrates python, computer
science concepts and biology!

Regards,
Medha Naik