[Biopython-dev] [Biopython - Feature #3260] (Closed) Draw a Bio.Phylo tree as a phylogram

redmine at redmine.open-bio.org redmine at redmine.open-bio.org
Thu Jul 14 03:02:35 UTC 2011

Issue #3260 has been updated by Eric Talevich.

Status changed from New to Closed
% Done changed from 0 to 100

Committed:
https://github.com/biopython/biopython/commit/d3aa24c808b4558dabcf024a485e0128792aa4aa

Folks: lemme know how this works for you.
Feature #3260: Draw a Bio.Phylo tree as a phylogram
https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3260

Author: Eric Talevich

Bio.Phylo should be able to draw a decent tree. This means a standard phylogram, with accurate branch lengths, labels for taxa and any internal nodes that have them, and support values -- like Phylip's "drawtree" does.

The two existing functions don't quite suffice: draw_graphviz ignores branch lengths, though it's nice for unrooted trees; draw_ascii looks more like a typical phylogram, but it's ascii art and can't display internal node labels or support values (or large trees).

I wrote a function to do this, based on the algorithm in draw_ascii. It uses matplotlib for display. I tested it on all the trees under Tests/Nexus and Tests/PhyloXML; it's nice.

To change your notification preferences, please click here and login: http://redmine.open-bio.org