[Biopython-dev] "Developing on Github" wiki amendment

Brandon Invergo b.invergo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:37:45 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Based on my own experiences working with Github, I suggest a minor
addition to the wiki tutorial on using it. I'm working behind an HTTP
proxy at my university, which doesn't pose big problems with cloning or
pushing, which use the git http_proxy setting without problem. However,
git-pull for whatever reason doesn't seem to use that setting but
instead relies on the GitProxy setting. I haven't been able to get this
to play nicely, so I had trouble pulling upstream changes to my
repository for a while. In the end, the easiest solution was to just
change my upstream master to https://github.com/biopython/biopython.git
rather than git:// so that the git https_proxy is used.

The only problem is that I couldn't find a git command to change the
upstream master (didn't search very deeply, admittedly), so I did it by
manually editing the .git/config file in my repository. Does anyone know
if there is one?

So, if it's ok with everyone, I would write a small addition of a
sentence or two offering this as a work-around for people having
problems pulling upstream changes from behind a proxy.

Before I do so, perhaps it would be prudent to ask if there are any
problems about using https:// rather than git:// for pulling.

Cheers,
-brandon