[Biopython-dev] biopython web interface

Eric Talevich eric.talevich at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:49:52 UTC 2011

Hi Massimo,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Massimo Di Pierro
<mdipierro at cs.depaul.edu>wrote:

> Does biopython have a web interface?
> If not, would you be interested in help developing one?
> What kind of features would you be interested in?

Biopython is only a library, but can be useful for building web interfaces
for biological workflows. Have you looked at Galaxy yet?
http://galaxy.psu.edu/
http://usegalaxy.org/
http://getgalaxy.org/

I think it may provide most of what you're interested in. It provides a web
interface for biological workflows; it requires no programming to use, but
it can also be easily extended with a small amount of code to incorporate
new command-line tools into a workflow. It already handles most of the
common file formats for biological data, too.

Reason for my question: I am a physicist and a professor of CS. I am working
> with a few different groups to build a unified platform to bring scientific
> data online. The main idea is that of having a tool that requires no
> programming and scientists can use to introspect an existing directory and
> turn it into dynamical web pages. Those pages can then be edited and
> re-oreganized like a CMS. The system should be able to recognize basic file
> types, group, tag and categorize them. It should them be possible to
> register algorithms, run them on the server, create a workflow. The system
> will also have an interface for mobile.
>
> Here is a first prototype for physics data that interface with the National
> Energy Research Computing Center:
> http://tests.web2py.com/nersc

Interesting, something keep an eye on as it develops.

Cheers,
Eric